Help to calculate the absorption spectrum

Matt W MattWa... at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 05:42:04 UTC 2014

Hi Mohamed,

you mentioned in a previous post calculating reflectivity, so I guess you
need to calculate the whole spectrum?

Unfortunately, the TDDFPT/linear response code currently doesn't have
intensities, just transition energies. If you want something like the full
spectrum there are two possibilities I can see:

(i) there is a DFT/PRINT/OPTICAL_CONDUCTIVITY keyword that would give you
the imaginary part of the dielectric constant in an independent particle
approximation - BUT, it is not working at the moment. I'm fixing it and
will hopefully add changes in a few days. This is the easiest approach, but
is rather crude.
(ii) real time propagation time dependent DFT would give you the spectrum
from the power spectrum of dipole moment changes in time. Using this
approach is somewhat trickier than just running ground state calculations,
however.

HTH,

Matt