Outputting cell information and fractional coordinates

Matthias Krack matthia... at psi.ch
Thu Jan 30 09:07:34 UTC 2014

Hi FX,

you are right, the information about the alignment of the cell with respect
to the Cartesian axes is lost. Thus it is currently not possible to
retrieve the scaled coordinates for an atomic configuration in an unique
manner from the dcd file information involving non-orthorhombic cells. This
is however something which could be fixed. CP2K adopts a common convention
for the cell alignment when an explicit cell vector definition is not
available, namely, the cell vector *a* is aligned with the x axis and the
cell vectors *a* and *b* lie in the xy plane. I think this convention could
also be applied in this case and the Cartesian coordinates could be dumped
only after the cell has been mapped to this representation using scaled
coordinates.

Matthias