Warning on forces using DFT_PLUS_U LOWDIN. Implemented or not?

Matthias Krack matthia... at psi.ch
Tue Feb 11 13:51:58 UTC 2014

Dear Gabriele,

your system is rather large and not well suited for a quick testing. I can
only suggest to use the PRINT_LEVEL medium (&GLOBAL section) together with

  &PRINT
  &PLUS_U on
   &EACH
    QS_SCF 1
   &END EACH
  &END PLUS_U
 &END PRINT

which will print the d orbital occupations of the Ti atoms in each SCF
iteration step. This might give you some clue about what is going on.

CP2K produces orbital occupation pattern which differ to the values
obtained in PW codes due to the different basis set and population analysis
employed. For this reason the U values used with PW codes cannot directly
be transferred to CP2K always. Due to my experience a lower U value can
already cause a similar opening of the band gap for the reference bulk
system.

You may also try to equilibrate the system in advance using a smaller U
value, e.g. ~2eV instead of 4.2eV, and check if the problem persists.

Matthias