Enthalpy of vaporization calculation in CP2K

Janos...@googlemail.com janos... at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 18:00:07 UTC 2014

Dear Bharat,

I am not convinced about the usage of semiempericals like PM3 for such a
purpose, but it is your business...
Concerning the approach:
Calculating internal energy is simply calculating the average of the total
energy.  But, as the average of the kinetic energy is defined on a given
temperature (I assume, you run NVT simulations), I usually calculate the
average of the potential energy. The contribution from kinetic energy
should cancel when you subtract the liquid phase value from the gas phase
value.

Both potential energy and total energy are reported in the *.ener file in
cp2k.

Otherwise do you get the right value by simply adding RT to dU? Just to
test your approximation:
why don't you add d(pV), that you can calculate from experimental densities.

Janos