[CP2K:5601] Re: Bulk Nickel (and possibly other newbie questions)

Ralph Koitz ralph... at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 21:36:24 UTC 2014

Hi,

To use spin polarization, you should specify the keyword UKS in the DFT
section and define a MULTIPLICITY.
You may also want to turn on RELAX_MULTIPLICITY in that section.

To use a supercell, you can either manually repeat your coordinates and
load the entire supercell as input coordinates, or specify
MULTIPLE_UNIT_CELL in both the CELL and TOPOLOGY sections of the SUBSYS.
A 6x6x6 supercell should be okay to start out with, but you may want to
check convergence.

We have had decent experience with revPBE as an XC Functional for Ni [1].
BEEFvdW, a more recent addition to cp2k also gives very good bulk nickel,
but it's currently somewhat of a beta-version and you need to compile with
libxc to get it to work.

Best,
Ralph

[1] Gomez-Diaz et al, Theor Chim Acta, 2013