Geometry optimization by using LIBXC caused no SCF iteration with error NaN

Marco synerg... at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 19:53:26 UTC 2014

Hello,

I looked at your input file and everything seemed okay. The reason you need
to include a &HF section in your input file for M06-2X is that the M06-2X
functional is a global hybrid functional which incorporates 54% HF
exchange. It is my understanding that the minimum required input
specification in the &HF section for a calculation employing a hybrid
functional is the &SCREENING keyword. Take a look at the input files
provided in the regtest-libxc directory (for example the
"H2O-hybrid-b3lyp_libxc_uks.inp" file).

~/input/cp2k/cp2k-2.4.0/tests/QS/regtest-libxc/

I looked at some of the source code files related to the calling of the XC
functionalities. In particular, the xc_libxc.f file states the following as
a comment at the beginning of the file.

!>      WARNING: In the subroutine libxc_lsd_calc, it could be that the
!>      ordering for the 1st index of v2lapltau, v2rholapl, v2rhotau,
!>      v2sigmalapl and v2sigmatau is not correct. For the moment it does
not
!>      matter since the calculation of the 2nd derivatives for meta-GGA
!>      functionals is not implemented in CP2K.

If this is the case, then it is possible that a meta-GGA functional (which
generally is a function of the laplacian of the density) such as M06-2X may
not work properly in CP2K. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Best regards,
Marco