help, how to use DFT+U

roben nano robe... at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 02:40:09 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I am using DFT+U to relax a defective surface system. Specifically, I am
using theDFT+U method MULLIKENn. However, the following warning appears
when computing:

*** 04:19:11 WARNING in dft_plus_u:mulliken :: DFT+U energy contibution ***
 *** is negative possibly due to unphysical Mulliken charges. Check your ***
 *** input, if this warning persists or try a different method!
- I try to converge the initial SCF run with U=0eV firstly and then try to
restart with DFT+U. but the same problem appears.
- Using U_RAMPING [eV] 0.1 and INIT_U_RAMPING_EACH_SCF did not help.
    &KIND Zn
    BASIS_SET DZVP-MOLOPT-SR-GTH
    POTENTIAL GTH-PBE-q12
     &DFT_PLUS_U