[CP2K:4719] dbcsr error when applying periodic efield

David Stelter base... at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 18:02:23 UTC 2013

Hi Matt,

Sorry  for the long delay, I realized there was also a problem with SCF
with the test runs. I have fixed that as well. There still seems to be
several energy discrepancies between the various methods of applying a
external potential/electric field. I've also included output results for
all runs with fixed SCF, both for orgin-centered and non-centered water
molecules.
The energies are as follows.

*For an off-origin water molecule:*
NO FIELD
  -17.109346858835565

PERIODIC_EFIELD
  -17.087299531020836

EXTERNAL_POTENTIAL (FORCE_EVAL ONLY)
  -17.098300834804430

EXTERNAL_POTENTIAL (DFT ONLY)
  -17.128494982693702

EXTERNAL_POTENTIAL (FORCE_EVAL AND DFT)
  -17.102033317272440

It seems as if EXTERNAL_POTENTIAL (DFT) is stabilizing the molecule while
the PERIODIC_EFIELD destabilizes the energy. All sections are applying a
field to the water molecule in the same direction with identical strength.
Any thoughts why this is happening? Shouldn't they have the same effect?

*For an origin-centered water molecule:*
NO FIELD
  -17.109567168504295

PERIODIC_EFIELD
  -17.109580046528809