[CP2K:4460] neb : question about the number of scf optimizations for each band step for each replica

Andrea Floris an.f... at gmail.com
Mon May 20 17:52:23 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Teodoro Laino <teodor... at gmail.com>wrote:

> DIIS performs a LS - what you see is the result of the line search.
> Use NO_LS<http://manual.cp2k.org/trunk/CP2K_INPUT/MOTION/BAND/OPTIMIZE_BAND/DIIS.html#list_NO_LS> if
> you don't like that.

What are the consequences of using NO_LS in a NEB calculation? Using NO_LS
would result in a single optimization of the image
(per band step) and  (maybe separate issue) no electronic optimization at
all for "fixed" images?

I am just running a test, with 3-5 replica only.  I see quite a strong
dependence on the K_SPRING constant if I vary it from 0.05 to 0.02
(the barrier decreases of about 0.05eV and the path is different).
Is is correct to expect a much reduced variation of the barrier with
K_SPRING, if the number of
images is increased, e.g. to 10-15? Which distance is typically OK between
adiacent images, 0.5 A?
Thank you for your help
Best
Andrea