[CP2K:4359] possible bug in Ewald routine ?

hut... at pci.uzh.ch hut... at pci.uzh.ch
Tue Mar 26 08:30:21 UTC 2013

Hi

the input to the EWALD routines is for historical reasons
rather complicated. There are three parameters that define
an Ewald calculation:
- alpha (width of the Gaussian compensation charge)
- the real space cutoff (equal to the cutoff of nonbonded forces in CP2K!)
- the reciprocal space cutoff

Given a desired accuracy and anyone of the above three parameters
determines the possible range of the other two parameters.
However, in CP2K you have to define all three parameters independently
in the input. In addition, the reciprocal cutoff is given by
the number of grid points, this means depends on the box size!

And finally, the regression tests are not 'real' inputs. You
cannot rely on the parameters used there to give you converged
results. You have to find them yourself.

regards

Juerg Hutter

Juerg Hutter                         Phone : ++41 44 635 4491
Physical Chemistry Institute   FAX   : ++41 44 635 6838
University of Zurich               E-mail:  hut... at pci.uzh.ch
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zurich, Switzerland