[CP2K:4583] error: cp_fm_cholesky_decompose processor

marcella Iannuzzi marc... at pci.uzh.ch
Mon Aug 26 15:52:42 UTC 2013

Hi,

The error is caused by an ill conditioned overlap matrix.
This generates numerical problems  in the construction of the preconditioner, when the cholesky decomposition of the overlap matrix is needed.
You can choose a method that does not need the decomposition of the overlap matrix (e.g. another preconditioner).
Maybe it is enough to do so for the first steps of the optimization, and then switch back.
You can also try to slightly displace some atoms, in order to break symmetries.
However, the best solution would be to change basis sets. The basis sets in the  BASIS_MOLOPT library should be safer in this respect.

kind regards
 Marcella

Marcella Iannuzzi              Phone : ++41 44 635 4479
Physical Chemistry Institute   FAX   : ++41 44 635 6838
University of Zurich               E-mail:  marc... at pci.uzh.ch
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zurich, Switzerland