BAND calculation with 16 frames

Jörg Saßmannshausen j.sassma... at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Aug 20 22:30:54 UTC 2013

Dear all,

I am in the process of setting up a BAND calculation with 16 frames.
Each frame got 82 atoms and if I recall it correctly I need to have the
cartesian coordinates in all frames in the same order. I assume that is still
correct? As this is a rather large molecule, doing it manually is a bit
cumbersome. I have tried to use GaussView for that but but it appears I need a
larger screen to get all 16 molecules in one window. :-(
Is there a better program to do that task?

Also, I want to investigate a dissociation reaction, i.e.:

A-B ---> A      B

Due to the flexibility of the molecules A and B, the forward reaction might be
different from the reverse reaction. Is there a way to influence that when I am
doing the BAND?
I got the frames generated by pulling (pushing) A and B apart (together) so I
know the geometry is optimised here. I am doing steps of 0.3 A so that should
be ok as well (I hope). So, if I am using the optimised geometries for the
forward and reverse reaction I should be able to get what I am expecting or is
there something else which I need to bear in mind?

I hope that makes sense to you.

All the best from London!

Jörg
Jörg Saßmannshausen