NpT - grid GPW

Matt McGrath obfis... at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 06:10:39 UTC 2012

Hi Marc.

The default method is to use a constant grid density, using grid sizes that
correspond to the "magic" numbers for FFTs.  You can change this by putting
in the CELL_REF flag, e.g

    &CELL
      ABC 17.28  17.28  17.28
      &CELL_REF
        ABC 18.0 18.0 18.0
      &END CELL_REF
    &END CELL

Now the cell will always have the same number of grid points as a cell of
size 18x18x18 using the default grid density, regardless of the actual size
of the cell.

You probably don't have to use a cutoff of 1200 Ry.  In later studies, we
use a cutoff of 600 Ry (you can look up the papers by McGrath, Kuo, and
Siepmann), and it seems to work.  Of course, you should also do some tests
for your system.  We reported I think in at least one paper that increasing
the cutoff (or, at least, using a more converged basis set) can actually
push the result away from the experimental properties.  This is a
well-known probably that arises from the lack of a variational principle in
DFT once a form for the exchange-correlation functional has been decided
on, though I caution you that I'm not an expert in this.  I wasn't an
author of the paper you cite, so I'm not sure why they chose 700.

Good luck!

                                                 Cheers, Matt