problem when printing MO eigenvalues

Wei wei.a... at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 16 22:11:10 UTC 2012

Dear all,

Recently, we encountered a problem (probably caused by memory) when
performing a non self-consistent calculation of a big system (more than
3,500 atoms). CP2K printed out the overlap matrix (AO*Log file, 67 GB)
smoothly but always aborted when printing the MO eigenvectors & eigenvalues
(MO*Log files).

By increasing the amount of memory per process up to 24 GB per process, a
smaller system (2000atoms) worked out, but the 3500 atoms still fails even
with up to 256 GB memory/process. Since we have performed the geometry
optimization for this big system with quite some efforts, the more
important thing for us is to calculate some physical property based MO
eigenvalues.

So I wonder if any of you have met this kind of problem or do you have any
suggestion about it. Any help will be highly appreciated! Thanks a lot in
advance!

PS: I have tried it with both an old stable version and the most recent one
from the trunck.

Best Wishes

Wei