Restart on different machines: Reducing nspin is not possible

Axel akoh... at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 18:39:55 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:44:29 PM UTC-4, nadler wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> I just wanted to restart a cp2k calculation on a Power7 machine using the
> *wfn file from a calculation which I performed on a cluster with Intel Xeon
> X5670 cpus. Now, the calculation aborts with the following message:

please note that fortran unformatted/binary files are generally not
portable across platforms. the xeon is a little endian architecture
and the power 7 is big endian. the result is that numbers won't
make sense if you go from one to the other. for example a 1 will
turn into an insanely large number. also different compilers have
different ways to encode those binary files, e.g. using 32-bit or
64-bit record length indicators.

that all being said, some compilers have options that you can
tell how to read specific files that allow on-the-fly endian conversion
and occasionally also record length markers.

you'll have study the compiler documentation very carefully
on the power7 machine. perhaps you get lucky.

axel.