convergence of SCF calculations for metallic systems in CP2K

marci marc... at pci.uzh.ch
Tue Oct 4 08:05:57 UTC 2011

Dear Sanliang,

Yes, you can run simulations with metallic systems and yes normally
metallic systems are harder to converge.
Since k-point are not implemented with CP2K, meaningful results can
be
obtained only with large enough supercells.
For a metallic system, you have to consider the advantages of
smearing
the occupation number of the states around the Fermi energy.
We use a Fermi Dirac smearing where the temperature parameter sort
of
determine how many states are involved in the smearing, and can
affect
the convergence.
In order to do that the only possibility at the moment is to compute
at each step of the SCF minimization eigenstates and eigenvalues of
number of KS orbitals larger than the number of electrons, in order
include some unoccupied states as well. Haw many additional states
you
need depends on the system and on the smearing temperature.
This means that efficient algorithms as OT cannot be used, and you
have to resort to standard diagonalization, which scales much worse
with both system size and number of tasks.
Another useful technique is the mixing of the electronic density in
reciprocal space, to mend effects related to the charge sloshing.
Moreover, to get well converged states you might need to tighten the
convergence criterion (EPS_SCF).
All this can make the calculation quite lengthy.

A typical &SCF input section for a calculation with metals reads like:
&SCF
     SCF_GUESS  RESTART
     EPS_SCF 8.0E-7
     MAX_SCF 500