NEB: number of replicas, cpus and input files

Jörg Saßmannshausen j.sassma... at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Nov 23 23:05:47 UTC 2011

Dear all,

I am a bit confused.
When I am running a frequency calculation or a NEB calculation, I can specify
the number of replicas (NUMBER_OF_REPLICA) and the number of processors
(NPROC_REP) in the MOTION section. Now, lets say I got 32 cores on my hands
and I got 17 files which I want to use for the NEB calculation. Now, my
understanding was that I could run say 8 replicas and each replica is using 4
cores. That would add up to the 32 cores I have alltogether. However, that
does not work out. It appears I got to use 32 replicas and 32 cores for all
32 cores I have available. What is the relationship between replicas and
cores (in the input file) with the cores I have available on the machine (an
in relation to the number of coordinate files I have). A similar observation
was made for a frequency calculation.

I seem to have somehow a wrong understanding here :-/

All the best from a foggy London

Jörg

Jörg Saßmannshausen
University College London