A strange problem when running CP2K

yoman gogo... at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 11:28:24 UTC 2011

Hi everyone!

I have a problem that the job will stop writing output file when the cluster
server shows the job is still running. Moreover, there is no error message.
Is this the way CP2K told me the job is dead? Let me describe this problem
in detail. I run a Molecular dynamics simulation of iceIh using BLYP or PBE
functional for 30 ps.( timestep = 0.5 fs) The BLYP job would run well in
certain nodes and cores. The best combination is 8nodes and each node has 8
cpus. When I increase the number of nodes to 12 (each has 8 cpus) the job
will have the problem I have mentioned within 500 steps. Moreover,
restarting the job will have the same problem. Besides, when I try to use
the same setting (same nodes with the same cores) to run the PBE job. It has
the problem again. Did anyone has the same problem? The following is my
input file of the job.

Thanks in advance for any reply

Yu-ming Hung

Institute of Atomic and Molecular Sciences, Academia Sinica

&FORCE_EVAL
  METHOD QS
  STRESS_TENSOR ANALYTICAL

  &DFT
    BASIS_SET_FILE_NAME ./GTH_BASIS_SETS
    POTENTIAL_FILE_NAME ./POTENTIAL

    &MGRID
      CUTOFF 300
      NGRIDS 4
    &END MGRID

    &QS
      EPS_DEFAULT 1.0E-12
      EXTRAPOLATION PS
      EXTRAPOLATION_ORDER 3
    &END QS

    &SCF
      SCF_GUESS ATOMIC
      EPS_SCF      1.0E-6
      MAX_SCF      300

      &OT ON
        MINIMIZER DIIS
        PRECONDITIONER  FULL_KINETIC
      &END OT

      &PRINT
        &RESTART OFF
        &END
      &END

    &END SCF

    &XC
      &XC_FUNCTIONAL PBE
      &END XC_FUNCTIONAL
    &END XC

    &LOCALIZE
      EPS_LOCALIZATION 1E-7
      METHOD  JACOBI
    &END LOCALIZE

    &PRINT
      &LOCALIZATION
        &WANNIER_CENTERS
          IONS+CENTERS  TRUE
          FILENAME ./96_iceIh_150_NPT
          COMMON_ITERATION_LEVELS 1

          &EACH
          &END EACH

        &END WANNIER_CENTERS

        &MOLECULAR_DIPOLES
          FILENAME ./96_iceIh_150_NPT
          COMMON_ITERATION_LEVELS 1

          &EACH
          &END EACH
        &END MOLECULAR_DIPOLES

        &TOTAL_DIPOLE
          FILENAME ./96_iceIh_150_NPT
          COMMON_ITERATION_LEVELS 1

          &EACH
          &END EACH
        &END TOTAL_DIPOLE

      &END LOCALIZATION
    &END PRINT

  &END DFT

I skip the coordinate and velocity of atoms

    &KIND H
      BASIS_SET TZV2P-GTH
      POTENTIAL GTH-PBE-q1
      MASS 2.0