hybrid monte carlo and cp2k

Matt McGrath obfis... at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 06:57:32 UTC 2011

Hello Alin.

Ah, I am starting to see now.  I agree with the thoughts on HMC; this
is actually why I put it into CP2K.  Previously, I used pre-biasing
with an approximate potential to make MC more efficient (you can see
any of my papers about first principles Monte Carlo on water and
hydrogen fluoride for the details).  That worked somewhat, but I was
hoping HMC would be better (doesn't seem like it is, according to some
constant pressure simulations we've run, which surprises me...maybe
because the pre-biasing potential is "free" compared to the QS
calculation and the displacements are larger...on a per QS calculation
basis, there doesn't seem to be a significant speedup at the the
moment, although the MD energy calculations can be made less expensive
with various extrapolation techniques).

As for this calculation, it seems quite interesting.  From that paper,
it appears almost like you're doing a reverse HMC; using an MC run to
sample part of an MD run, instead of the other way around.  Since this
is a free energy technique with MD as the driver, I think it would be
better to treat it like metadynamics, and create a section in
&FREE_ENERGY for it.  Ideally, at least.  In principle, because it
seems like an MD run that calls MC which calls MD again, maybe it
would be more useful (and faster to have working) if you have your own
MD code and just treat HMC as a library call?  Have you considered
this at all?  I would hesitate to add another RUN_TYPE option, since
it seems like the basic elements (MD and MC) are already in CP2K as
high level options.

                                                     Cheers, Matt