Jumps in total energy

LS laksh... at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 18:01:29 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am performing an NVE simulation of an isolated molecule. I use the
Wavelet Poisson solver and have the center coordinates keyword as
true. I find that every time I restart the calculation (due to time-
outs of the computing system here), I see jumps in the Conserved
Quantity. Sometimes the jumps are as large as 0.2 hartrees. I
understand that the jumps in energy happen because the program centers
the system during the restart and wavelet poisson solver is not
translational invariant. But is such a  jump in energy considered
reasonable?

I am attaching my input file below.

Thanks
LS

&GLOBAL
  PROJECT md-1
  RUN_TYPE MD
  PRINT_LEVEL MEDIUM
  WALLTIME 5.95000000E+05
&END GLOBAL

&EXT_RESTART
RESTART_FILE_NAME  md-1.restart
&END EXT_RESTART

&MOTION
  &MD
    ENSEMBLE NVE
    STEPS 100000
    TIMESTEP 0.5
   &PRINT
     FORCE_LAST .TRUE.
   &END PRINT
   &END MD
  &PRINT
  &RESTART
  ADD_LAST NUMERIC
  &END RESTART
  &END PRINT
 &END MOTION

&FORCE_EVAL
  METHOD Quickstep
  &DFT
    BASIS_SET_FILE_NAME ~/cp2k/tests/QS/GTH_BASIS_SETS
    POTENTIAL_FILE_NAME ~/cp2k/tests/QS/POTENTIAL
    UKS
    &MGRID
      CUTOFF 400
      NGRIDS 4