[CP2K:3112] Localization-Total_Dipole versus MOMENTS

hut... at pci.uzh.ch hut... at pci.uzh.ch
Sun Feb 27 16:15:25 UTC 2011

Hi Madeleine

for the Berry phase calculation of the dipole moments, the two
methods will be different. When going through Localization
the total dipole is calculated as the sum of the Wannier center
dipoles, whereas the Moments route will give you the dipole
from the determinant of the Berry phase matrices.
The Wannier center dipole is usually a very good approximation
to the "correct" dipole from the Moments section.
The assumption is that the Wannier functions don't overlap.
The advantage of the Localization is that it allows for a much
more detailed analysis of spectra.

best regards

Juerg

Juerg Hutter                       Phone : ++41 44 635 4491
Physical Chemistry Institute   FAX   : ++41 44 635 6838
University of Zurich               E-mail:  hut... at pci.uzh.ch
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zurich, Switzerland