[CP2K:2896] How to use git as a client for the CVS server

Toon Verstraelen Toon.Ver... at UGent.be
Tue Nov 2 16:08:57 UTC 2010

On 10/31/2010 02:10 PM, Ondrej Marsalek wrote:
> Hi Toon,
>
> thanks for this, I think it is useful to have access to CP2K through
> something more flexible than CVS. Some time ago, I have tried, with
> the same motivation, to set up and keep up-to-date a bazaar repository
> of CP2K at Launchpad. Basically the same thing, just with bazaar and
> Launchpad in place of git and github. See the conversation that
> followed here:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/cp2k/browse_thread/thread/ba88294ae132314e/a197ced409bf839c
>
> Judging by the relatively long silence, your take on this matter does
> a better job and is not taken as "disrespectful to the work of others"
> or a "split project". I am glad that this is the case and am looking
> forward to using your git mirror of CP2K at github.com.

I remember some got a bit too excited last time. :) Hence the disclaimer.

I was disappointed by the remarks you got: they were missing the point.
CP2K could become much more reliable with a distributed workflow.

Currently almost all patches just go in the CVS head after (or before) some
basic testing. It would be much safer to let all development happen in
personal branches until things are tested, reviewed, documented, and so on.
This would also make it easier to produce on a stable version. Modern CVS
alternatives (like git, bzr and others) have all the tools to make this
approach fun and easy.

I don't know the reason why it is not done with CP2K. Anyone?

cheers,

Toon

P.S. My github account is merely a personal remote storage for my branches. I
use it transfer patches to various machines. Think of it as a branch in the
CVS without having CVS write access. If it is useful for others, the better.
Just keep in mind that a continuous transfer of patches from CVS to git
sometimes fails, as it did recently with the qs-refactoring merge. One-time
conversions do work well, certainly with cvs2git.