Initial guess of the density matrix

Simone Piccinin piccini... at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 08:27:06 UTC 2010

Dear Marcella,

thanks a lot for the answer.
I'm not sure I understand how to use these feature, though.

The relevant section of the cu2cl6_m1_clp6cud9.inp file in the test/QS/
regtest-bs folder is this:

    &KIND  Cu1
      ELEMENT Cu
      BASIS_SET  DZVP-MOLOPT-SR-GTH
      POTENTIAL  GTH-BLYP-q11
      &BS
        &ALPHA
          NEL -1   0
          L    0   2
          N    4   3
        &END
        &BETA
          NEL -1  -2
          L    0   2
          N    4   3
        &END
      &END
    &END

Does this mean that we are removing, from the alpha channel of Cu1, 1
electron from the 4s and in the beta channel 1 electron from the 4s
and 2 electrons from the 3d?
If so, Cu1 now has 4 electrons less than the neutral atom. A similar
treatment is done for Cu2. For Cl, on the other hand, it seems that we
are adding 2 alpha
electrons and 2 beta electrons in the 3p orbitals. Since we have 6 Cl
and 2 Cu atoms in the molecule, the overall charge should be 2*4-6*4 =
-16, resulting
in a wrong number of electrons. Is this what is done, or did I
misunderstand something?

Thanks a lot.
Best wishes,
Simone