[CP2K:2979] Re: Lowdin analysis

Laino Teodoro teodor... at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 09:51:35 UTC 2010

Hi Matthias,

I do not agree : there several cases where diagonalization of S (done to compute functions of S) leads to huge numerical noise on the eigenvalues (due to almost linear dependencies of the C vectors) - with only 1-2 significant digits if you work in double precision - whether this is that case or not, I cannot say. I trust what you said: if you checked than for sure this is not that case.

Nonetheless, for peculiar cases (numerically speaking) skipping the diagonalization of S is the way to go to compute functions of S.

Best
Teo

Teodoro Laino
Zurich Switzerland