Applying electric field

aarondesk aaro... at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 19:51:02 UTC 2010

Hello,
  I am trying to apply an external electrical field to a DFT
(quickstep) calculation but am not having success. Please excuse my
ignorance. I have tried with a simple test molecule - CO - that I want
to apply an electrical field in the z direction.

  Below is my input (based off the regtest input).

  Unfortunately I get the same output whether the EFIELD section is
present or not, which leads me to believe that no external field is
being applied. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

   Also, I have two other issues. The job crashes whenever START_STEP
is set to 0 ("On entry to DLASCL parameter number  4 had an illegal
value"), but 0 is the default value. Second, I don't quite understand
the units for the field intensity. Manual says W/cm2, but if I convert
this correctly, 5E15 W/cm2 = 3.77E11 V/angs which is huge.  I just
want an external field near 0.5 V/angs.

Thank you,
Aaron

&FORCE_EVAL
  METHOD Quickstep
  &DFT
    UKS
    BASIS_SET_FILE_NAME ./GTH_BASIS_SETS_5-12-10
    POTENTIAL_FILE_NAME ./GTH_POTENTIALS_5-12-10
    WFN_RESTART_FILE_NAME x-RESTART.wfn
    &MGRID
      CUTOFF 300
    &END MGRID