Different version, different result?

Andy Van Yperen-De Deyne andy.vanyp... at ugent.be
Fri Oct 30 12:07:34 UTC 2009

Hello,

When I wanted to reproduce some g-tensors of an older version of CP2K,
using the new version of CP2K, I noticed a (rather large) difference
(especially for the GAPW).
Then I used a compilation of an older version of CP2K (2008
something), I noticed that even the total energy of the single point
calculation is different in both versions (lets call them for now 2008
and 2009).

ENERGY_2008  -18.770810474185076
ENERGY_2009  -18.785104003918622

So it seems logical that the property calculation is different. I used
the exact same inputfile for both versions. I want to mention that I
had the idea that the 2009 version was slower then the 2008
version...

I am trying to sort things out and find the essential difference
between the two inputfiles.
I noticed in the 2008 outputfile this line
CELL| Grid size for subcell
generation                                    2.000
which is not present for the 2009 output. But looking into the manual,
it seems that the default value for this property in the 2009
inputfile is also 2.000.

However, when I look at the "PW_GRID:"-section in the output, I see
that this grid of the 2009 version is different from the 2008 version.
To give you one example

2009
PW_GRID: Information for grid
number                                          1
 PW_GRID: Cutoff
[a.u.]                                                    300.0
 PW_GRID: spherical
cutoff:                                                   NO
 PW_GRID:   Bounds   1            -75      74
Points:         150
 PW_GRID:   Bounds   2            -75      74
Points:         150
 PW_GRID:   Bounds   3            -75      74
Points:         150
 PW_GRID: Volume element (a.u.^3)  0.2000E-02     Volume (a.u.^3)
6748.3346
 PW_GRID: Grid span
FULLSPACE

2008
 PW_GRID: Information for grid
number                                          1
 PW_GRID: Cutoff
[a.u.]                                                    300.0
 PW_GRID: spherical
cutoff:                                                   NO
 PW_GRID:   Bounds   1            -40      39
Points:          80
 PW_GRID:   Bounds   2            -40      39
Points:          80
 PW_GRID:   Bounds   3            -40      39
Points:          80
 PW_GRID: Volume element (a.u.^3)  0.1953E-02     Volume (a.u.^3)
1000.0000
 PW_GRID: Grid span
FULLSPACE

(for all the other grids there is also a similar difference...)

I guess some default value has changed and I wonder if it is possible
to change it back to the 2008 values or vice versa? I have not found a
solution in the manual (I apologize if it is just a trivial keyword
that I did not found).

Or is there another reason for the big difference in energy between
the two versions of CP2K?

Thank you for your attention,

Andy Van Yperen-De Deyne
Center for Molecular Modeling
Ghent University
Technologiepark Zwijnaarde 903
Andy.VanYp... at UGent.be

INPUTFILE

! G tensor calculation just for a testrun

&GLOBAL
    PRINT_LEVEL MEDIUM
    PROJECT_NAME regtest
    RUN_TYPE    LINEAR_RESPONSE !ENERGY