[CP2K:1898] Re: Langevin references

Ondrej Marsalek ondrej.... at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 08:50:35 UTC 2009

Hi,

this is not what I understood from the papers, the message on this
mailing list from Matthias or from the source code, therefore please
correct me if I am wrong in the following.

Gamma and noisy_gamma get used for the generation of the white noise,
as seen from this source line:

simpar_methods.F:83:       simpar%var_w =
2.0_dp*simpar%temp_ext*simpar%dt*(simpar%gamma+simpar%noisy_gamma)

which corresponds to the RHS in [Kuhne2007].

Shadow_gamma, on the other hand, seems to be added to the Langevin
gamma only for dissipation, as illustrated by the line

integrator.F:164:    gam = simpar%gamma+simpar%shadow_gamma

because the variable gam is the one later used in the propagator. It
is not clear to me what is the intended purpose of shadow_gamma, but
it looks like it could be used to introduce artificial drag into the
system, for example for the purpose of testing the whole procedure of
propagation with noisy forces.

Is this correct or am I reading the code incorrectly?

Best,
Ondrej