[CP2K:1905] Re: methane in a water box QM/MM

Teodoro Laino teodor... at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 19:06:55 UTC 2009

Hi Marius,

we discussed so many time about the documentation that is almost an
exhausted thread :-).
Anyway.. Axel started with the pages on the google forum and they are
exactly in the state he left them..
Why don't you take over and contribute to them?

Let's just go back now to your question..
When you want to do a PERIODIC QMMM calculation, conceptually speaking
you have to decouple and recouple the QM images with the proper periodicity.
have a look at:
QMMM/QS/regtest-4/crys_per_qmmm.inp, which is true that it is a regtest
but is still ok as a starting point..

First don't forget in all QMMM runs that use quickstep to add
COMMENSURATE to the MGRID section. It is mandatory!

Second if you do fully periodic QMMM you don't have to specify any
poisson section in the DFT section (since the decoupling is handled
directly with the re-coupling).
In the CELL section of the QMMM section you have to enable fully
PERIODIC (i.e. delete possible PERIODIC NONE in both cell sections) and
add to the QMMM section the PERIODIC section:

&PERIODIC
  GMAX 0.5 (is a reasonable value.. but depends on the GEEP expansion ..
USE_GEEP_LIB 10 is good enough)
  &MULTIPOLE
     EWALD_PRECISION 1.0E-6
     RCUT  CELL/2 (is good enough)
  &END
&END

at the moment the only way to decouple and recouple is with the
MULTIPOLE scheme.
You can start from these hints and check the set of parameters better
for you.
And in case you have still time and willingness put down a couple of
pages on how to use the QMMM in cp2k.
Future users will be extremely glad. ;-)
Cheers
Teo