[CP2K:1887] Geometry optimization convergence problem

Teodoro Laino teodor... at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 15:29:59 UTC 2009

Dear Peter,

You have 13K atoms and roughly 40K DOFs. Moreover the optimizer work in
cartesian coordinates (which is
possibly the worst choice for efficient optimizations).
Achieving the threshold you mentioned may become a real issue (if you
could succeed at all).

The limit you have reached of 2e-3 Hartree/bohr is not bad at all (is in
the order of ~ 3 kcal/angstrom).
If you really want to freeze up to 1e-4 Hartree/bohr the only way to
efficiently get it (using cartesian coordinates)
is an annealed MD. Start with temperature 0 and put an annealing of
0.99-0.97.
Again.. don't expect too much with so many degrees of freedom.
Cheers
Teo