Total dipole via LOCALIZATION - bug?

vi... at fh.huji.ac.il vi... at fh.huji.ac.il
Sat Jan 31 16:37:11 UTC 2009

Hello,
I am running
       &LOCALIZATION
          &TOTAL_DIPOLE
            &EACH 1
                &END
          &END TOTAL_DIPOLE
       &END LOCALIZATION
with the objective to calculate system dipole derivative as a function
of time (I need the IR spectrum). The system is periodic (one unit
cell of clathrate hydrate, which includes water, H2S and ethylene
oxide), DZVP-BLYP with Grimme van der Waals correction.

So here is a problem - now and then the dipole derivative jumps to
some preposterously huge value (positive or negative). These are
isolated points. To me it seems as if Berry phase formula which is
supposed to correct for periodicity does not work, although it is
supposed to be a default. Any advice? Thanks, Victoria Buch