GPGPU status

Ben Levine ben.l... at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 21:21:18 UTC 2009

Hi Guys,
Sorry to be joining the discussion a little late.  I haven't checked
the group in a little while, I guess.

Yes, I've done some work in incorperating some CUDA code into CP2K,
and after a long hiatus I am just starting to work on it again.  Right
now it is possible to run CP2K with a single precision FFT and several
associated scatter/gather operations run on the GPU.  As others have
said, running the FFT in single precision does not seem to degrade the
accuracy of the calculation significantly.  In my experience this
can't be said for other portions of the code, and this is the reason
that greater CUDA support is not yet provided.

To enable CUDA support compile with the -D__CUDA and -D__FFTSGL
compiler flags...  But hold off for a little bit if you would.  I'm
currently having some problems getting it to run in it's current
state.  I'll post again when it's working.  Thanks for your interest.

Ben