[CP2K:2210] determinism of CP2K runs

Teodoro Laino teodor... at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 18:57:45 UTC 2009

Hi Noam,

If you talk with a programmer he will tell you that computer codes are
deterministic.
If you talk with a mathematician he will tell you that computer code are
not deterministic (roundoff errors, accuracy, order in which you do
operations, etc..).

The reality is that there is nothing random in the way CP2K performs
calculations, but the errors you see (in your output files) are just
numerical approximations.
I can see that in the two runs you were using different machines.
Although IT companies should guarantee the same numerical accuracy for
the same electronic components (CPU, etc), it may be (rare case but it
could be) that one of the machines in the two sets has slightly
different numerics : due to slightly different electronics or even
installations, or because a cosmic ray was just passing through one of
them while running CP2K ;-).
also the way MPI is handling the collective operations may create
different numerics: to the best of my knowledge (if somebody is willing
to correct me please do so) the MPI standard does not enforce
determinism. It is encouraged in the implementations but is
not-mandatory in order to allow the deferred synchronization (a way to
improve performance).

This is normally not an important problem since the errors are extremely
small ( in the range of 10^-10 -10^-13 H) compared to the quantities
normally involved in chemical processes (10^-1 - 10^-4 H).
However, due to the chaotic nature of  the MD equations, it may happen
(especially with unstable systems) that two trajectory run on different
machines may diverge due to the small roundoff differences (there are
nice things to read about the Lyapunov instabilities in MD).

Anyway.. coming back to serious things: I wouldn't worry too much for
the number you sent.
If you are really in a paranoiac-state I would suggest you to try to run
the same input file exactly on the same set of machines (with exactly
the same distribution of processes). Hopefully you should get the same
results.

Cheers
Teo