counter charge

Axel akoh... at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 14:48:26 UTC 2009

On Apr 17, 10:55 am, Jun <chen... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> I thought I can put some classical point charges (fractional) in a
> cell using Quickstep. But I can't find the way out.

those fractional charges could be provided as pseudopotentials.
there are DFT codes that allow you to have "fractional hydrogens"
to terminate polar surfaces.

since cp2k also supports all electron calculations, you could add an
all-electron entry with a fractional charge and then define an empty
basis set for that atom type.

however, i would be very careful with a setup of that kind. if the
"fractional atom" is too close to other atoms you may get spill-out,
and many people that program quantum codes tend to implicitly or
explicitly
assume that electrons and charges are integer throughout and thus
you may get unexpected results and should run careful tests on easy
to debug test systems. i am certain that cp2k developers would be
happy to get feedback and test inputs on that subject.

other than that, it might be easier to discuss options, if you could
produce an example input illustrating your setup and ideally also an
example input for a code that does support what you want to do, or
a paper describing such a calculation.

cheers,
   axel.