[CP2K:1948] Re: OUTER_SCF

Fawzi Mohamed fa... at gmx.ch
Fri Apr 3 09:48:39 UTC 2009

On 3-apr-09, at 01:36, Jörg Saßmannshausen wrote:

> Dear Marc,
>
> as far as I understood it from the Tutorial, it works like that:
> Imagine 2 loops, the inner and the outer SCF cycle. First you run
> the inner
> cycle. If it converges, you only have one outer cycle done (starting
> the
> inner cycle).
> If the inner cycle does not converge, rather then going down 'the
> wrong path',

Not down the wrong path, but simply converging slowly

> you go back (into the outer cycle), make some corrections,

This "correction", if you use the outer cycle just to improve the
convergence is simply recalculating the preconditioner of OT.

The preconditioner might depend on the actual C (this is not true for
example for the kinetic one), and in this case a better C means a
better preconditoner, which means better convergence.

As building the preconditioner costs time (especially for the better
ones like full_all) you do not want to rebuild it each step, but with
the outer SCF you can say that if you don't converge in MAX_SCF
(inner) steps, then the preconditioner should be rebuilt, and you
should try again (hopefully with better convergence), repeating this
procedure at most (outer) MAX_SCF times.

As consequence when used in this way you should have the same EPS_SCF
in both cycles.

Fawzi