molecular dipoles of charged molecules

cavallo lcav... at unisa.it
Mon Oct 20 19:18:09 UTC 2008

Hi Axel,

dipole moments for charged species are indeed position dependent. If
you approximate the charge distribution as sum of various multipoles,
only the first non vanishing multipole is position independent. In
neutral molecules the net charge (zeroth-order multipole) is zero so
that the dipole (if not vanishing) is position independent. In
molecules with zero charge and dipole, such as benzene, the quadrupole
is the first non-zero multipole, and it is position independent.
Thus, in charged molecules the total charge is position independent,
but higher multipoles, including the dipole, do not.

As far as I remember, in charged molecules it is "standard" to
calculate the dipole with reference to the center of mass, while
calculating it at the "center of charges"  should result in a
vanishing dipole.

More on this, including some refs,  at
http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/resources/messages/1995/01/13.002-dir/index.html

Ciao,