EAM/MEAM

Axel akoh... at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 15:59:03 UTC 2008

On Oct 8, 7:16 am, Laino Teodoro <teodor... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Salah,
>
> I don't want to ruin your expectations but keep in mind that most of
> the people
> contributing to CP2K, do it because of their research projects.
>
> If you think a bit about it you will realize that you don't pay for
> getting cp2k.. you don't even have to register..
> you can use it in an extremely anonymously way and most important
> everything you get out of it it's free lunch..

well, as we all know, "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch".

> Thinking that you may convince other people in implementing something
> just because you need it, is honestly a bit naive.
>
> Anyway I can imagine three possible scenario, which are valid for all
> feature requests of course (not just yours):
>
> (1) you really convinced someone to do the job for you (very good!
> you're a great communicator.. Honestly I would think
>        about using your communication skills for making some profit
> rather than wasting them in a discussion forum..)
> (2) you wait until someone will implement that.
> (3) you implement it yourself.

there is also a number (4): pay somebody to implement it.
e.g. hire a graduate student or a postdoc to do this.

juerg mentioned this quite a while ago, cp2k can use a lot
of help and there are many more groups that could afford to
spend some human time in helping the project, even if it is only
through sharing their experiences and providing support to
less experienced users. it would be a great way to pay respects
to juerg and his group for carrying such a large share of the
workload to make cp2k what it is now over all the years.
...not to mention that in the end _everybody_ wins.

cheers,
   axel.