EMAX_SPLINE too small

salah boulf... at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 2 10:44:51 UTC 2008

Dear Laino,
first of all, thank you very much for the very detailed answer.
I would like to start with your comment on the neutrality of the
system. I'm doing some tests on different polymorphs of SiO2 (bulk).
So I set the charges exactly as shown if the distribution test files,
UO2 for instance, and here a copy-past from the regtest-7 files in
Fist directory:
##########################
       &CHARGE
        ATOM U
        CHARGE 4.0
      &END
      &CHARGE
        ATOM O
        CHARGE -2.0
      &END
      &SHELL U
        CORE_CHARGE   -2.840000
        SHELL_CHARGE 6.840000
        MASS_FRACTION  0.1
        SPRING  [eV*angstrom^-2] 171.556
        MAX_DISTANCE [angstrom] 1.0
      &END SHELL
      &SHELL O
        CORE_CHARGE 1.186267
        SHELL_CHARGE -3.186267
        MASS_FRACTION 0.2
        SPRING [eV*angstrom^-2] 70.824
        MAX_DISTANCE [angstrom] 1.0
      &END SHELL
###################################
as you can see the charge comes from the atom definition and the shell
definition as well.
I checked the output of my simple run and it says :

------------> CHARGE_INFO| Total Charge of the Classical
System:                     0.000000
I've tried to set the charge of O to zero and kept the charge coming
from the shell-core part but cp2k displays a positive total charge for
the system.
so, I do not see what do you mean by setting charge of O to zero and
keep the charge flowing from the shell-core part !!!!!!

second point is the EMAX_SPLINE itself. I've tried to increase it but
the simulation start running only with a value higher than 300
hartree !!! does this really need to be that high ????

third point, the 61 61 61, of course it's a crazy value, I was
increasing it automatically and the file I posted was the last one, I
do not think that I need that much, a GMAX of 21 will be sufficient I
guess.

fourth point, a timestep of 0.2 fs should be enough to capture the
movements of the shell-core couples especially with a high force
constant (using DLPOLY for example, simulations with a shell model and
with 0.2 fs is stable without drift of energy).

last point, I changed everything as you advised but the system
collapsed.

So, can you please do me a favor and check this again

Thanks in advance

salah