[CP2K:873] performance on Linux Opteron cluster

Teodoro Laino teodor... at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 20:17:14 UTC 2008

Dear Yunfeng,

I guess you're definitely not aware of what you were running.
That input file is not there to do performance analysis (there's a
benchmark directory instead!)
In few months, when you will have a more solid cp2k background,  you
will open again that input file and you will realize that
the file 32H2O-md.inp is highly IO bounded.
RESTART of the wavefunctions are written at every SCF step and
restart files at every MD step and since the IO (at least in cp2k)
are non-parallel operations your code will never scale..

I just modified for you the input file and I have run from 1 to 32
procs and these are the data:

1_proc/32H2O-md.out:    - 3294.21
2_proc/32H2O-md.out:    - 1898.79  (1.73)
4_proc/32H2O-md.out:    - 1038.44  (1.82)
8_proc/32H2O-md.out:    -   572.58  (1.81)
16_proc/32H2O-md.out:  -   334.94  (1.71)
32_proc/32H2O-md.out:  -   242.30  (1.38)

Timings are in seconds and in parentheses the speed w.r.t the same
job with half number of processor (ideally 2).
The writing of  the wfn restart file can easily take 1 second each
time.. and in that run it is going to be written ~500 times.
This justifies your timings!!!

Keep in mind that these jobs have run on a dual core machine (like
yours).. it is possible to have ration closer to 2 (?!?) when using
single core processors.

I can understand the psychology behind the hurries of  testing how
well a code is scaling.. but...
to do that you need to know what you are doing.. and know it very
well.. even with very user friendly codes!
In attachment all the data, for you and for all the people that in
the future want something to compare..

Teo