how to get the "total" electron density

Axel akoh... at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 19:21:33 UTC 2008

hi!

thanks for the answers. this is very encouraging.

On Mar 13, 6:12 am, Fawzi Mohamed <fa... at gmx.ch> wrote:
> On Mar 13, 2008, at 9:23 AM, Matthias wrote:
>

> > Hi Axel,
>
> > indeed, the all-electron density is available with GAPW, but only in
> > Fourier space as it is needed for the calculation of the X-ray
> > diffraction spectrum. In principle one could perform a back
> > transformation to real space using FFT and print it as a cube file.

ok. can you give me a few hints on which code specifically
to look at, so that i can try hacking it together?

> > However, for numerical reasons you would apply in this way a low pass
> > filter to the all-electron density and thus you would not obtain the
> > true all-electron density in real space.
>
> actually I think that this is the correct thing to do, we should
> maybe do something like this also instead of the stride (or at least
> do some mean).

yep. visualisation doesn't really need much accuracy, but analysis
does and preserving the integral of the property would be very helpful
in the particularl analysis that i have in mind.

an alternate option would be to incorporate the analysis directly
into cp2k (i'm currently thinking of the code from
http://theory.cm.utexas.edu/bader/ which looks like it
could be merged with rather moderate effort) and thus at least
avoid the issue of having to read and write huge formatted files.

cheers,
   axel.