single precision compile broken

Axel akoh... at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 03:36:13 UTC 2008

On Mar 11, 10:34 pm, Nick <naro... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Axel and Teo,

nick,

> I'm interested in learning more about the state of the single
> precision compilation. If it works correctly,

no. it does not work. well, you can compile and some
inputs run (most regtests).

> the speed up is a factor of 4x - 8x (?) over double precision with no

why a speedup of 4x-8x???

> lost in accuracy I presume.

au contraire! a _lot_ of accuracy is lost.
that is the very nature of running in single precision.

> Some questions:
> 1. Does it work in parallel?

no.

> 2. Does it work with QS + OT?
in principle, yes.

> 3. Are the standard LDA & PBE functionals supported?

the code used is essentially identical to the DP
code, only the _dp kind is changed and the corresponding
single precision versions of BLAS/LAPACK are called.
...and then there are a few special subroutines.

> If so, can you summarize for us:
> 1. Compiler versions which work, plus optimization levels.
> 2. math libraries that work
> 3. FFTW2 should be straightforward in single precision

well, and i'd really like a pony for next christmas. ;-)

cheers,
   axel.