compiling with HP MPI & Open MPI

Axel akoh... at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 17:33:47 UTC 2008

On Jul 7, 10:04 am, "C. Va'rnai" <cv... at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear All,

dear csilla,

> I am trying to compile CP2K on a supercomputer, and this is my first
> experience with supercomputers, I have used clusters so far.
> (http://www.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/ssck/hpxc)
>
> The default mpif90 compiler is HP MPI. When I compile CP2K with HP MPI,
> after a nice compilation without error message (I know, it doesn't mean
> that it should run fine), it gives segmentation fault. I don't really know
> much about HP MPI, and after fiddling around with the compiler options, I
> decided to use Open MPI I use on a cluster machine with the same
> Linux-x86-64-intel architecture. Running CP2K in interactive mode was

please note, that the machine is _not_ an x86_64 machine but an
itanium2 (aka. IA64) machine.

using OpenMPI needs a lot of care, since you have to make sure that
you have working support for the quadrics network.
building on such an unusual machine can be very tricky, thus
i strongly suggest to get into contact with the user support
staff and have them give you explicit instructions on how to
use/link scalapack/blacs/mpi etc.

please also make sure that you do _not_ compile for OpenMP
and link with the multithreaded MKL unless you are 100% certain
you know what you are doing. both is explained in the intel
compiler and MKL manuals (it may need a little digging).

cheers,
   axel.