[CP2K:635] Re: cp2k speedup on multicore machines

Fawzi Mohamed fa... at gmx.ch
Fri Jan 25 13:46:02 UTC 2008

Hi luigi,

256 water should scale very well beyond 2 cpus.

Have you used the same optimizatios with 1 and 2 cpus? (or it is even
the same executable)?

what happens if you do top during a run?
* does the 1-cpu executable really use only 1 cpu (or lapack/fft use
multithreading, and use two cpus)
* does the 2 cpu really go on two processors? do you have some
problems with cpu affinity?
* the timing is cpu time? i.e 2 cpu= twice the time, but half the
real time?

ciao
Fawzi