cp2k release goals

Axel akoh... at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 10:45:03 UTC 2008

On Jan 17, 5:02 pm, Teodoro Laino <teodor... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe.. what we should really discuss is:  what do we want to have in
> a first release ?

absolutely! after many discussions of how and when to do a
cp2k release, i think this is _the_ most important question.

what i would hope for is a brief statement from everybody working
on cp2k (i.e. with write access to the cvs) describing the status
of the features he/she is working on and what part of it can be
considered production ready or close to it. also, i'd like to see a
statement from the users (e.g. _everybody_ else subscribed here),
what feature he/she needs or wants to be using. this would give
us an assessment of what is possible and in what time frame.
finally, those who would be willing to work on preparing the release
should own up and we should start the discussion of how to
distribute the work that needs to be done.

[...]

> It should not be difficult to set it up.. even in a remote way (using
> for example something like skype or similarities). I believe that
> there's really no need to spend even 1 cent to organize something
> like that. Companies do this everyday.. Universities still have to
> understand the powerful of the remote-group-working.

i agree that this is the way to go.

> So the question is quite obvious:
> Why don't we have that?  How many would be really there actively
> participating?
> I think very few.. though I would like to be surprised seeing  the
> opposite ;-)

with people working in different time zones, picking a good time could
be difficult, but regardless of that, getting started is the most
important
thing. it is probably best to announce a "virtual meeting" here and
see
if it works out...

cheers,
    axel.