[Cp2k-team] &LOCALIZE in &QS section

Marcella Iannuzzi marcella.ia... at psi.ch
Thu Jan 10 13:09:30 UTC 2008

Hi all,

  below it is reported the discussion  about the localization problem.
But first  here are my conclusion after some checks in the code and
some additional testing:
- yes, the localization procedures are correct and the charge density
is not disrupted by localization
- the localization  of the MOS should be used to compute properties
that require  it
    by activating the LOCALIZE sub-section in the corresponding
section, for example &XAS, &LINRES ...
As suggested by teo, the LOCALIZE section in QS could be moved into
the DFT&PRINT
- However, I still believe that it might be useful to propagate  the
localized orbitals along an MD run, just consider all the work on
localized wavefunctions that one can find in literature.
However, this cannot be done straightforwardly in cp2k, by just
overwriting the MOS with the
localized MOS. The reason is that by the standard diagonalization
method the calculation of the forces assumes that the MOS
are eigenstates. This is not the case for the localized MOS.
It would be probably easy to fix this using another method. For
example one could use OT, providing that an update of the MO_DERIV is
added after the localization procedure. Or one could use a more
general method to compute the Pulay forces, which does not assumes
that the MOS are eigenstates as it is done for ROKS.

bye
Marcella