[CP2K:506] Re: cp2k release goals

Teodoro Laino teodor... at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 16:11:43 UTC 2008

Ciao Luca,

On 5 Jan 2008, at 16:03, luca wrote:

> Most persons with not equivalent CV can use famous (some not free
> and not good ) programs because there are
> a lot of documentations, user guides, howto, and case studies.
> In contrast there are some very good and free program that are
> unknow/unused to the community
> and they seem do not have a lot of documentation. Is there a
> relationship?
> Make some tutorials or case studies, can help to debug the program
> and  can be
> a good start point for old user and new user.

That's absolutely true. But the power of the open source community is
mainly based on the fact that everybody
contributes even with a small stone to the construction of the main
building, under a continuous refereed work
(since each line (of source, tutorials, case studies, documentation)
you make public can in principle be double-checked
by trillions of people).
But exactly as I said previously for the release topic:
documentation, tutorials and case studies requires lots of
human power (ask Axel how much efforts he put in the CPMD
tutorial ;-) at the same time I think that once the
tutorial was made public he also received many comments about it..
and also possible bug fixes of things he wrote)..
well the point is that  human power specifically for these kind of
things is always highly appreciated..

cp2k can become better and better if more and more people will start
contributing to it.. not necessarily implementing
new things.. also offering help, as you said, in writing a more clear
documentation, tutorials, case studies or offering
help for maintaining a release.
Sooo Sooo... what should I say more? ;-)

Teo