[CP2K:664] Re: MD simulation doesn't run very long

Teodoro Laino teodor... at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 20:52:29 UTC 2008

Hi Andrew,

no worries.. it's a quite well-known story.. the fact is that
regarding compilers and libraries
cp2k is a little bit snobby ;-).. They must be able to handle
*almost* perfectly the F90/95 (and possibly 2003) standard.
If you look in the old threads of this mailing list you will also
find several other messages where people
had similar problems with PGI and intel.

Unfortunately not all compilers can compiler cp2k (and this mainly
because it's 18 years that exists the F90 standard and
still there is not a robust compiler!!).. so check in the old
messages, if you want to use intel or PGI, the versions of those
compilers properly compiling cp2k.

g95 generally does, though is not producing a very fast code.

Anyway you can be happy! Though you were not able to run cp2k with
your input file, it is just CORRECT!
Maybe GMAX for ewald is a little bit too small ... and instead of
using EWALD you can switch to the more
efficient SPME. But again all things are at the proper place! ;-)

The only thing I noticed is that you're still running an *old* cvs
snapshot  (I hope that a real version will be soon not just a
dream! ;-) )..
If you will do an update you will find that the keyword EACH is not
there anymore..
Have a look at the proper message and of course feel free to ask if
you need any clarification.

For honesty sake I must also say that you should not expect the same
performance of other classical MD code when using CP2K
for classical runs (you can easily see up to a factor of 5-10 slower
compared to the others available on the market).
We are aware of that, but that's the price you've to pay to be more
general than just  doing biomolecular systems.
If you do just biomolecular what I usually suggest (and I do) is to
equilibrate with other faster codes (to save time) and switching to
cp2k for doing QMMM (once the system is equilibrated with other codes
using AMBER or CHARMM FF you will get the same
equilibration switching to cp2k..i.e. they are compatible).

Have a nice week-end,
Teo