CP2K compilation on p5series AIX 5.3

Axel akoh... at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 11:01:31 UTC 2008

On Apr 8, 4:40 am, CompilationAIX <compila... at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> in fact it's the AIX-PowerPC_POWER5.sopt file from the yesterdays'
> nightly snapshot
>
> you can see it there :http://cvs.berlios.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/cp2k/cp2k/arch/AIX-PowerPC_...
>
> thanks a lot, it compiles much better now :)
>
> infortunately, it's not finished, now I stop with that :
>
> xlf95 -qsuffix=f=f90 -c -O2 -q64 -qarch=pwr5 -qcache=auto -qmaxmem=-1 -
> qtune=pwr5 md_run.f90
>     1517-011: (U) Compilation ended. No more system resources
> available.
> 1501-511  Compilation failed for file md_run.f90.
> gmake[1]: *** [md_run.o] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/p5cecic/home/cp2k-new/cp2k/obj/AIX-
> PowerPC_POWER5/sopt'
> gmake: *** [build] Error 2
>
> and then I am a little surprised, because I did a special filesystem
> and a huge paging space just for compiling it, and it stills complain
> about system resources
>
> for the moment I use : IBM pSeries 510
> 18 Gb of paging space
> 4 Gb of TMPDIR
> 2 Gb of memory

this is pointless. instead of giving the compiler more room to
waste time on optimizing something that does not need optimizing,
you better tell it to use a lower optimization level.
please have a look at: Linux-ppc5-xlf.sopt

there you have an up to date list of files that take a long time
to compile, mostly  because of the badly scaling branch prediction
algorithm in the IBM compilers.

axel.