[CP2K:414] Re: unique spline question

Teodoro Laino teodor... at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 09:31:51 UTC 2007

HI Axel,

I had a look into the QMMM file you sent me..
First thing to notice: SPLINE_UNIQUE

UNIQUE_SPLINE .TRUE. (EPS 10^-12)
     0:   1>>>>>       4      1 force_field_control      44.230 0 Kb

UNIQUE_SPLINE .FALSE. (EPS default 10^-7)
     0:   1>>>>>       4      1 force_field_control     211.440 0 Kb

well unique_spline saves you at the end of the spline generation 4/5
of the memory usage.. you may say that it's peanuts
since 200KB of memory is nothing.. I agree with you.. but the
unique_spline is anyway much faster in generating only 1
spline and more important if you want a very high energy spline (EMAX
several hundreads of hartree (like in the alchemical
free energy changes)) you can't do that because in that case the
memory would really explode if you compute a spline for
each pair potential..

In your case the unique_spline just makes a little bit faster the
initialization of the classical environment.

Cheers
Teo