[CP2K:64] practical MD-barostat question

Nichols A. Romero naro... at gmail.com
Thu May 10 17:15:51 UTC 2007

Toon,

Tell us a little bit more about the method for the FORCE_EVAL. I work mostly
with QS (DFT) and one has to work hard to get accurate pressures in general.
An accuracy below 0.1 GPa, 1000 bar is non-trivial (probably not even
realistic given other sources of systematic error).

1 bar is a tiny pressure. I would say that with the thermostats the most
important thing to check are the averages of course. 5000 bar is 0.5 GPa. I
think that's reasonable. If you have plenty of computer resources one thing
you could check is how the fluctuations change with system size. In NVT for
example, I believe it can be shown that the fluctuations in T should scale
as 1/sqrt(N). Don't know if this is true for other ensembles.

--
Nichols A. Romero, Ph.D.
1613 Denise Dr. Apt. D