[CP2K:53] GAPW method

Marcella Iannuzzi marcella.ia... at psi.ch
Mon May 7 17:12:23 UTC 2007

Hi,

GAPW is based on the partitioning of the total charge density, as PAW
(Bloechl).
It can be used with both PP or full potentials (AE), also in a mixed
way: some atoms PP some others AE.
If you use PP, it is more like GPW, i.e. it uses GTO basis sets
optimized for  GTH PP.
There are no ultrasoft PP in cp2k, and the PW representation of the
density is used only for the calculation
of the density dependent parts of the potential (hartree and xc)
The advantage of using GAPW rather than GPW with PP should be the
possibility to
run with a lower PW cutoff, because the hardest part of the density
is never collocated on the grid.
However, GAPW is  mainly intended to perform full potential
calculations, where the core electrons are
considered and never-frozen.  This should be useful to address
properties that depend also on the relaxation of the cores.
The basis sets in this case are the standard GTO all-electron basis
sets, as used also
  by other codes like Gaussian, obviously no PP is
required.  Therefore if you want to compare results you can compare
with Gaussian.
As far as I know, PAW is often used with frozen cores. In the present
implementation, for GAPW this is never the case.
One important difference with respect to PAW is in the construction
of the local densities.
In GAPW these are expanded in the primitives centred on the specific
atom.

ciao
   Marcella